Friday, September 28, 2012

Lets have Chaat! - Indian Street Food Special


Tomato Chaat from my Kitchen - Plated and Served "Bengalooru Gaadi" style.
 The one thing I miss about India is the "Chaat". Spicy, Savory plated street food sold by enterprising vendors at every street corner, for instant hunger and craving satisfaction. Pani Puri, Sev Puri, Bhel Puri, Dahi Puri..the list goes on. There is no specific time for consuming these gastronomic delights, but generally the "Chaat" vendors get their mobile kitchens or "Chaat Gaadis" ready for operations after dusk everyday. Students returning home from school, office goers disembarking from the grind of the daily commute, couples young and old out for an evening stroll..all delight in the crunch, bite and kick of these salad-type dishes, which are prepared by tossing cooked and raw ingredients, spices and fritters all in one plate.

Masala Puri from my Kitchen - Diced Onions and Fritters on a bed of Spiced Pea Gravy 
 We find "Chaat" served in "desi" or Indian eating establishments here in the United States, however, nothing compares to the earthy taste and folksy flavors from the gaadis back home.
 
My now famous Global Gobi Manchurian - Fried Cauliflower topped with Spicy Asian Sauce
 So, I started whipping out these delicacies in my Kitchen..to my husband, my friends - Indian and American. My cravings for "Gobi Manchurian" which is India's ode to Chinese cuisine, was sated right in my kitchen. I will pass on my secret recipe to this gorgeous dish if you write to me at aalayaminspiration@gmail.com.

I will leave you with another "Chaat". Relish the casual irreverance of "Chaat". Enjoy your rainy weekend afternoons with a steaming cup of Masala Chai and Chaat...!!

Aloo Tikki Chaat from my kitchen - Potato Cutlets topped with warm Chickpea Gravy
Love,
Supriya.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you all for reaching out to me for the recipe for Gobi Manchurian! Here's the recipe and a lil' story to go along with it! :)

    Gobi Manchurian is an eternal favorite. When I was pregnant with the twins, it was week 36, and I wanted to eat Gobi Manchurian. My husband took me 30 miles across bridge and tunnel (where its always traffic clogged) to another town to an Indian restaurant that made awesome Gobi Manchurian! And I ended up going into labor in that restaurant, had to rush back to to hospital across a (thankfully) unclogged tunnel and ate my favorite dish in the car!!

    So long story short, I have a special place in my heart for this particular dish!

    Here is my way of doing it.

    Separate the Cauliflower or Broccoli florets and microwave with turmeric and water for 5 mins. Prepare the batter with (surprise!!) store bought pasta (red) sauce, corn flour and gram flour. Blend the sauce before hand with ginger garlic paste! Yum, my mouth is watering now!

    Deep fry/or bake the florets dipped in this batter until golden crisp. Set aside.

    Sautee garlic, onion, red/green peppers, soy sauce and chilli sauce or ketchup and create a nice savory brown sauce. Toss the deep fried florets into this brown sauce. Serve with minced coriander/cilantro/parsley and WOW your family or guests!! CANNOT go wrong!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your recipe descriptions and try to make this. But could not making that. But it is really delicious to all and but to me. I have some recipe ideas. Please visit this. Easy Chicken Recipes| Chicken Recipes | Chicken Curry Recipe | Street food recipes

    ReplyDelete